Academic Unit Name

Step 1


When a department decides to propose a change to the name of an academic unit, the dean of the academic unit must receive written approval from academic affairs to proceed with the development of a proposal. Contact academic affairs by sending an email to

Step 2

Change of Name Proposal Form

Complete the change of name form. Send it along with a cover letter to academic affairs requesting review and approval. To contact academic affairs, send an email to

Step 3

Undergraduate Affairs Committee (UAC)

After academic affairs approves the proposal, a copy will be forwarded by academic affairs to the UAC for review and approval.

Step 4

Presentation to UAC

The chair of the UAC will invite the originating unit to present the proposal at a regularly scheduled UAC meeting.

Step 5

Chief Academic Officer

Following approval by the UAC, the proposal will be forwarded to the chief academic officer for approval. If approved by the chief academic officer, the proposal is entered into the APPEAR system and forwarded to the Academic Leadership Council (IU degrees) or the associate provost at Purdue–West Lafayette (Purdue degrees) for approval. Following approval at this stage, the proposal is presented to either the IU or Purdue trustees.

Step 6

Unit and Campus Notifications

Following final approval, the chief academic officer will send notification of approval to the dean of the originating unit, the IUPUI registrar, the director of the Office of Student Financial Services, and the director of undergraduate admissions for coding and implementation. Though no additional approvals are needed beyond that of the IUPUI chief academic officer, University Academic Planning and Policy also will be notified to allow for updating of necessary tables.